WHAT IS A SPORTS MEDICINE PROVIDER?
A sports medicine physician has received specialized training in the treatment and prevention of illness and injury. They provide comprehensive medical care for the following:
- Sports Teams
- Active individuals who are looking to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Sports medicine physicians serve as team physicians at the youth, amateur, and professional levels.
A Sports Medicine Physician’s Training
Sports medicine physicians are required to have the following training:
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency.
- Sports Medicine Fellowship.
- Participates in continuing medical education activities.
- Re-certification via re-examination every 10 years.
- Is a leader of their Sports Medicine team. This could include specialty physicians and surgeons, athletic trainers, physical therapists, coaches, other personnel and the athlete.
Mendelson Kornblum powered by Synergy Health Partners makes scheduling your appointment a top priority. You can schedule you appointment online or call us at 855-750-5757.
If you are already a patient you can also find your provider and schedule here as well.
Common examples of musculoskeletal problems include:
- Acute injuries
- Ankle Sprains
- Muscle Strains
- Knee Injuries
- Shoulder Injuries
- Overuse injuries
- Rotator Cuff
- Stress Fractures
Do Sports Medicine Physicians only treat competitive athletes?
Absolutely not! Sports Medicine Physicians are suited to provide comprehensive medical care for the non-athlete as well. They are excellent resources for the individual who wishes to become active or begin an exercise program.
Even if you’re a “weekend warrior” or “adult recreational league athlete” who experiences an injury, the same expertise used for the competitive athlete can be applied to return the individual as quickly as possible to full function.