Seedlings' braille materials have opened up new worlds for thousands of children. Seedlings Braille Books for Children is keeping visually impaired children in the mainstream of popular literature and is reaching braille readers in all 50 states and over 75 foreign countries. Seedlings contributes to literacy by providing visually impaired children equal opportunity to develop the love of reading. At this time, less than 20% of the 50,000 blind children in the United States are proficient in braille. All too often, the written word has been inaccessible to them, and this is what we are working to change.
The commission operates low income senior centers and have the following enumerated powers and duties:
- Manage and operate its housing projects in an efficient manner.
- Determine to purchase, acquire, construct, improve, enlarge, extend, operate or repair any housing facility.
- To establish and revise rents of any housing project.
- To rent only to such tenants as are unable to pay for more expensive housing accommodations.
- To call upon other departments for assistance in the performance of its duties, but such departments shall be reimbursed for any added expense incurred therefor.
Top doctors are nominated exclusively by M.D.s and D.O.s in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw, and Livingston counties. Winning physicians are not selected by any member of the Hour Detroit staff. Doctors’ names and specialties are taken from online surveys submitted by physicians.